Sunday 7 September 2008

Salutations

So, one of the things that's really caught me off guard over here is this...when people say good bye they say 'See ya soon.'

At first glance, you're probably thinking 'So what?' Let me just explain that in a work environment when a coworker or your boss says 'See ya soon', I'm instantly mentally scanning my calendar for the day thinking 'Hmmm, when is the next meeting I have with this person?' For weeks, I thought I was missing meetings or deadlines. I finally asked a coworker (after he said 'See ya soon') what exactly he meant by that. He looked at me strangely and said 'SEE YOU SOON or SEE YOU LATER'. Right, point taken. I'm an idiot.

Well, I got to thinking that there must be something that American's do that is equally confusing. Eureka! Last week I think I found one. Have you ever noticed that most Americans, no matter what the context of an email, will generally sign it 'Thanks, So-and-So'. Regardless of whether or not the person who will receive the email has done anything deserving of a Thanks....there it is at the bottom of the email. For a nation of individuals that on the whole is somewhat self-centered, why do we do that? Very strange, indeed. Wouldn't it be funny if we started signing emails with 'Your Welcome'???

Thanks,
So-and-So

2 comments:

mike said...

Everything we do is right and the rest of the world is wrong. That is why Michael Phelps is the best Olympian ever and no one else is close. Because We anointed him the best, so there is no contest. But I've wondered such things - why the rest of the world calls it football (fussball, futebol, futbol, etc.) and we call it soccer. Hands are a minimum for throws and goalkeepers, feet are the primary. But our football, the only ones who use their feet in relation to the ball are kickers and punters, whom most teams don't put a premium on and most players don't consider real football players. Funny.
Or why we use miles and majority else use metrics. Or why American girls are easy and stupid, even though most everyone I have ever met were not easy, and must have been smart to avoid me! Tricky creatures.

Your welcome,
Deak

Unknown said...

Apparently you haven't had any stupid moments lately. Or you're lying in some ditch somewhere, stinking of Stella...