Sunday 26 October 2008

I Nearly Killed My Dad, On Accident

NOTE TO SELF:


Do not take hard-of-hearing, slightly inebriated American father to a football game that requires him to cross busy roads in England.


Had a coworker of mine not seen my dad looking the wrong way before crossing the road AND known my dad has trouble hearing, my dad would have been hit by a car. My coworker saw it happening and SHOUTED 'Phil, watch out!!!' just in time for the car to breeze by just inches from my dad.


--------------


I recently had the joy of a visit from my parents for 2 weeks. It was so nice to see a familiar face after living in this land of strangers for the last 6 months. On Day 1, they must've hated me because they landed at 7am and I forced them to stay awake until 9pm....it's the best way to avoid jetlag! So, we used this opportunity to visit the town of Bath, which is just 3 hours South on the motorway.


Bath is an amazing old Roman town. There is so much history, it's inconceivable for us as Americans. We toured the actual bath houses where the Romans used to bathe, which are fed by natural springs. Portions of these baths were built as long ago as the 4th century, with additions and restorations throughout the years. In the background of this photo, you also see Bath Abbey, which was builty between 1500-1600AD. I actually think various churches/ abbeys have been built on that site and modified over the years, but the one standing today was built in the 1500's. One of the great things about Bath is that while it has all the history one could want (for one town), it is now quite a fashionable and sophisticated city as well. It's definintely a town to re-visit for some shopping and a good night out!
Well, enough of me rambling on for now...will write more about Stonehenge, Avebury Stone Circles, London and Greece soon....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know, I'm starting to think you aren't updating this blog anymore...